I try to find information that can make border crossings easier on my trip and found Life Remotely. Here was plenty of useful information but I reproduces only the short version in respect for the great job they had done. So those who need more information should visit Life Remotely.
Belize to Guatemala Border Crossing
Border name: Melchor de Mencos
Between cities: Benque Viejo Del Carmen, Belize and Melchor de Mencos, Guatemala
Cost to exit Belize: BZ37.50 ($18.75 USD)
Cost for visas: Q20 ($2.60 USD) per person (unofficially)
Cost for vehicle: Q18 ($2.34 USD) for fumigation, Q160 ($20.78 USD) for Vehicle Import Permit
Total time: 55 minutes
- Go to the Belize immigration building.
- Pay the exit fee at the first counter.
- Have your passport stamped at the second counter.
- The driver takes the Belize vehicle permit to a third counter (the customs desk) on the side. Where the permit is cancelled.
- Passengers meet the driver on the other side of the customs checkpoint and proceed to Guatemala.
- First stop is the huge fumigation area. Your car is sprayed as you drive through. Pay the man upon exit and get a fumigation receipt.
- Walk to the open air customs and immigration building.
- Stand in the “Entrada” line. Get passports stamped and pay Q20 per person fee. There is no receipt for this fee, it isn’t official. And we probably could have argued our way out of it.
- Go to another man on the left side of the long counter. Present vehicle title, drivers passport and copies of both documents. He will give you a printed form with your vehicle information and the amount you have to pay.
- Go to the cashier window on the other side of the big building. Present the vehicle paperwork and pay the fee. The cashier will stamp the paperwork and return it to you.
- Go back to the vehicle import counter and show the official your stamped receipt from the cashier. He will issue you a permit sticker for your windshield and give you a paper permit and the receipt. He will keep the copies of your title and the drivers ID.
- Return to your car and affix the sticker, we were told on the top drivers side corner of the windshield, then drive towards the bridge.
- An officer will stop you and ask for your permit paperwork. He may take the paperwork to the side and consult with his gun toting colleagues. Then hopefully, he’ll return the paperwork and wave you through.