I try to find information that can make border crossings easier on my trip and found Life Remotely. Here was plenty of useful information but I reproduces only the short version in respect for the great job they had done. So those who need more information should visit Life Remotely.
Guatemala to El Salvador Border Crossing
Border name: San Cristóbal
Closest major cities: El Progreso, Guatemala and Santa Ana, El Salvador
Cost for visas: $0.
Cost for vehicle: $0. ($.60 for copies)
Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Stop at the small booth on the right side of the road and tell the nice officials you need to have your vehicle permit cancelled. They will instruct you where to park.
- The SAT (permit officials) will remove the sticker from your car and double check the VIN and paperwork you received when entering.
- The official will walk you to the customs counter and present your paperwork to the officer.
- Before your paperwork can be cancelled your passport must be stamped. Go to Guatemalan immigration across the street and have your passport stamped.
- Return to the customs area and have your permit cancelled.
- Drive through to the El Salvador crossing.
- Go to the copy shop and make a copy of your Guatemalan cancelled permit. Also, make sure you have copies of your title and the driver’s passport.
- Park your car on the far right (not in the lane for immigration)
- Go to the customs windows (the first set), and ask for a temporary permit (permiso). They will need your title, drivers passport, and cancelled Guatemalan permit, and copies of all of these.
- Fill out a long form for your permit, you will need to know all the details for your car: VIN, CCs, type of car, color, cylinders, etc (in Spanish please).
- When you have your permit, go back to the copy stand and make two copies. You will surrender one when you leave the border. The other you will need when you leave the country.
- Drive into the main immigration lane. Wait in your car until your car is first in line.
- Present your passports. Immigration will stamp and let you drive through.
- Drive about 100 meters to the road block. Hand over both the original and a copy of your El Salvador permit. The official will keep the copy and return the original.