I try to find information that can make border crossings easier on my trip and found Life Remotely. Here was plenty of useful information but I reproduces only the short version in respect for the great job they had done. So those who need more information should visit Life Remotely.
Peru to Bolivia Border Crossing
Border name: Yunguyo
Closest major cities: Puno, Peru and Copacabana, Bolivia
Cost for Visas: USD$135 for US citizens, Bs360 (USD$51) for South Africans
Cost for vehicle: $0
Total time: 1 hour
- Drive up to the chain across the road, park on the right or left.
- Go to the police office just to the right of the immigration building. An official here will stamp your tourist card.
- Go to the immigration building and hand over your passport and tourist card. The official will stamp both and keep your tourist card.
- Go to the white aduana building across the street and hand in your vehicle permit.
- Go to the other police office next to the aduana building. The officer may ask some basic questions and ask to see your insurance for Peru.
- Drive across to Bolivia, under the arch, park just before the gate on the right or left.
- Go to the immigration building and fill out necessary paper work, hand in documents and pay fees.
US citizens: Need one passport photo, a completed tourist card, a completed visa form (both available at immigration), a copy of your passport photo page and a whopping $135 in USD.
South African citizens need: A completed tourist card and Bs360 (USD$51).
- The official will place a visa sticker in your passport and take all your money.
- Go to the aduana building up the hill (to the left of immigration), hand in the driver’s passport, vehicle title and a copy of each. The official will issue a vehicle permit.
- Go to the transito office on the opposite side of immigration. Someone will enter the driver’s information and vehicle information into a ledger and will stamp the back of your vehicle permit paper.
- Find a police officer to open the gate.
Note: The Bolivian aduana office closes between 1:00–2:00pm Bolivia time, this is 12:00-1:00 Peru time. Plan accordingly.