I try to find information that can make border crossings easier on my trip and found Life Remotely. Here was plenty of useful information but I reproduces only the short version in respect for the great job they had done. So those who need more information should visit Life Remotely.
Ecuador to Peru Border Crossing
Border name: Huaquillas or Aguas Verdes
Closest major cities: Machala, Ecuador and Tumbes, Peru
Cost for visas: $0
Cost for vehicle: $8 for insurance, permit was free
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Stop at the big white building on the left side of the road at least 5km before the border crossing. There is no sign when leaving Ecuador, but there is a big sign in the opposite direction that says “Migracion”.
- Hand over your Ecuador vehicle permit to an official person. You may have to wait for them to enter info in the computer. They just took ours and told us to get out of there.
- Follow the signs to the Frontera. Note the new border area completely avoids the town of Huaquillas.
- You will pass a huge set of blue and white buildings on your left. This is for persons entering Ecuador ONLY. Keep driving.
- Eventually you will see an identical set of blue and white building on your right. Drive in and park where instructed.
- An official at the door will give you a form for exiting Ecuador (if you didn’t save yours from when you entered the country) and another form for entering Peru.
- Go into the building and present your passports at the first desk, this is exit immigration for Ecuador. The official will keep your exit tourist card and stamp you out.
- Go to the next desk. This is Peru entry. Hand over your entry form and passport. They keep the form and stamp your passport.
- Continuing further into the building there is an aduana desk. The official will need to see the original of your title, driver’s license, and passport for the owner of the vehicle. He will also need a copy of these three things.
- Aduana will enter a bunch of info in the computer and issue you a permit.
- Go to the small SOAT insurance booth and buy insurance, unless you have a policy from home. The cost was $8 for one month. Check the expiration carefully.
- Head to the beach!